Monday, June 3, 2013

To Eat at Benson or Not to Eat at Benson


Ever since I arrived on Santa Clara’s beautiful campus I have been faced with the same daunting question that plagues the entire student body: where should I eat my next meal? Although this might not seem like such a pressing issue to most people, I believe my fellow Broncos can understand and appreciate just how important this decision truly is.
After all we aren’t exactly blessed with options at Benson or any of our other fine dining options around campus. Additionally, what we eat dramatically affects our health, happiness, and stamina. Because these things are so critical to a successful college career choosing where we eat each meal is not a decision that should be made lightly.
            All college students, no matter what school they attend, are familiar with the three major choices available to them when it comes to eating: on campus, off campus, and self-preparation. Although the amount of variety that is available varies from school to school these three options are always presented to students in some form or another. Here at Santa Clara we have a unique combination when it comes to how much variety we have available to us. We have painfully limited on campus options at are one dining hall Benson but there are a large array of awesome restaurants that are only minutes away from our dorms. Additionally, there is even a Safeway grocery store and local farmers market within walking distance for those of us brave enough to try preparing our own meals from scratch. However, the question still remains which is the best option?
            I’m writing this blog for each and every member of the Santa Clara University community and every other college student who is interested to help answer this question once and for all. In fact, I am going to dedicate three meals over the next few weeks to solving this timeless question that has perplexed students over the years. I will be eating the same meal at three different locations that Santa Clara students like myself typically eat at. The meal will consist of a cheeseburger, a side dish, and a drink because this particular meal appeals to the vast majority of college students. The locations I have chosen reflect the three major choices when it comes to dining in college: on campus, off campus, and self-preparation.
1.     On Campus: The Bronco
The Bronco is one of the most popular options when it comes to dining on campus at Santa Clara. Its burgers, chicken tenders, and fries never fail to please hungry customers. However, many students complain they eat here more than they would like to because it is the only late night option available. Additionally, the Bronco’s menu is comprised solely of fried and greasy foods that are far from being considered healthy. I will be eating the infamous ‘Bronco Burger’ at The Bronco.
2.     Off Campus: In-N-Out
Arguably the best place to get a burger off campus, In-N-Out has become famous around California and the entire country for its delicious, freshly prepared burgers. Unlike the majority of other fast food restaurants, In-N-Out can proudly state: “We don’t freeze. We don’t pre-package. We don’t over-process. We just make things the old fashioned way.” (Food Quality: In-N-Out Burger) Because of its unique approach to preparing food In-N-Out is arguably the best choice among fast food restaurants. I will be enjoying a delicious ‘Double-Double’ burger when I eat out here. 
3.     Self-Preparation: Cooking My Own Meal
My final meal will be made completely by yours truly. I plan on buying all the necessary ingredients to make my own burger, cooking it, and consuming it all from the comfort of my own dorm. I will be purchasing the beef, cheese, and other ingredients at the local Safeway supermarket that is located a few minutes away from my dorm. Admittedly this is the first time I will be putting my culinary skills to work since I’ve been at college.
After I have eaten at each location I will evaluate my meals based off a few different criteria: How did it taste? How much did it cost? How convenient was it? And how healthy was it? I will also provide my final comparisons once I have eaten all the meals and state which option I believe is the overall best choice. I believe this rating system will allow me to fairly evaluate each of my meals and communicate with you which dining option I genuinely feel is the best. Being a college student myself, I am invested and committed to solving the mystery of where the best place to get my next meal and yours is. If you are as well I hope you’ll join me on my journey in answering this question once and for all.
-       Andrew
Work Cited
“Food Quality: In-N-Out Burger.” In-N-Out Burger. n.d Web. 26 Apr. 2013. <http://www.in-n-
out.com/menu/food-quality.aspx>.


No comments:

Post a Comment