Monday, June 3, 2013

Redefining the Fast Food Experience



Hey guys I’m back again this week with another review for you. This post will serve as my second dining options review for students attending Santa Clara University. I had the pleasure of not having to eat on campus at Benson and got to add a little variety to my dinning (apart from the actual meal of course). This week I ate at off campus at a fast food restaurant I’m sure you’re all familiar with, In-N-Out. Now before you all condemn me for eating fast food let me first remind you that although In-N-Out is technically a fast food company it is far more ethical than the rest of the industry. The food chains unique practices and beliefs set it apart from the competition and truly place it in between the fast and slow food movements. As a result, college students, including myself, attending Santa Clara have an affordable option for eating off campus. In-N-Out is a company that students don’t have to feel quite as guilty about supporting and enjoying.
            In-N-Out still has the same iconic look that it’s sported since the late 1940’s when it originally opened its doors to the public. The bright red and white color scheme can be seen throughout the entire restaurant, both inside and out, and makes approaching the establishment feel like stepping into a time machine. From the plastic umbrella laden tables that litter the grounds outside to the classic interior it appears not much has changed since the fast food chain went into business. Another aspect of In-N-Out that hasn’t seen many changes since the company’s establishment is its menu. Although the menu has only seen about as many changes as the decorations and layout of their restaurants I would argue that this is definitely a positive aspect of In-N-Out. The fact that their menu has seen very few changes over the years means that In-N-Out still serves the same delicious items its been pleasing customers with since it originally opened its doors for business. Additionally, the company also prides itself on resisting as much industrialization as possible and still prepares all the meals by hand. In-N-Out goes above and beyond its competing fast food restaurants.
            Unfortunately In-N-Out is not easily accessible when walking from campus. Some of my friends and I attempted the trip at the beginning of the fall quarter and it took us almost thirty minutes, a good amount of which was spent walking along a highway. After that trip I realized that all my future endeavors to the restaurant would be much more successful if I went with a friend who had access to a car so I could avoid making the questionable decision to walk along the interstate again. I’m still astounded by the fact that even though there always seems to be an endless line at In-N-Out it doesn’t take long to get to the register and place your order. This is due to fantastic service the company’s employees provide. The service at In-N-Out is far superior to any service I’ve received at other fast food restaurants. Even though there was a long line when my friends and I went to In-N-Out so that I could conduct this review it took us only a few minutes to receive our food after we ordered it.
            After biting into my first In-N-Out burger earlier this fall I have yet to find another burger that rivals it when it comes to taste. An In-N-Out burger is not even comparable to Santa Clara’s Bronco Burger, as they are not even in the same league. Whether it was my first visit, or my most recent one, I am still blown away by how genuinely delicious In-N-Out’s burgers are from the first bite to the last. The combination of the company’s fresh ingredients, expert craftsmanship, and perfect preparation allows In-N-Out to produce a burger that’s unlike anything I’ve ever tasted before. Along with my scrumptious burger I had the pleasure of enjoying some of In-N-Out’s delicious animal style French fries (hand cut fries topped with melted cheese, In-N-Out’s unique spread, and grilled onions) as well as an ice-cold cup of complementary water. By the end of my meal I was thoroughly satisfied and happy with the meal I had received. If you have yet to visit In-N-Out for some strange reason the only advice I can give you is to make a trip there as soon as possible and prepare yourself for one of the best burgers you’ve ever tasted in your entire life.
            When I got back from my lunch off campus and compared my receipt from In-N-Out to my receipt from the Bronco last week I was amazed at the difference in the total cost that I observed. My burger at In-N-Out cost $4.63 and my total meal only ran me a little over five dollars since I opted not to get a drink. Conversely, last week’s Bronco Burger cost me $6.79 and the total meal ended up costing almost ten dollars. Now I’m no math major but I’m fairly certain it is easy for most of you to tell which option ended up being cheaper. I saved close to five dollars eating at In-N-Out, which is almost half as less of what I spent at the Bronco. Five dollars might not seem like an enormous amount of money but when you’re a college student living on a college budget, every little bit you can save definitely counts. Although my meal at In-N-Out was cheaper its important to keep in mind that since its not easy to walk to the restaurant you may have to factor in transportation costs depending on how you get there.
            Like I mentioned in my last post, one of the most important factors to take into consideration when choosing your next meal in college, and throughout your entire life for that matter, is how healthy is the food you’re eating. Although I was expecting my burger from In-N-Out to be significantly unhealthier than the Bronco Burger I had last week I was surprised to find out that was not necessarily the case. Thanks to In-N-Out’s easy to use website I was able to uncover all the company’s nutritional information for their entire menu and get the statistics that I needed in order to make an accurate comparison. According to the health information the website provided, the burger that I enjoyed at In-N-Out contained, “480 calories, 27 grams of total fat, 10 grams of saturated fat, 39 grams of carbohydrates, 3 grams of fiber, 22 grams of protein, and 1000 milligrams of sodium” (In-N-Out). A quick comparison between this data and the information I shared with you last week reveals that the burger from In-N-Out’s burger is unhealthier in every category when compared to the Bronco Burger except for the fact that it contains two more grams of dietary fiber which is beneficial for digestion. These findings show that although In-N-Out’s burgers may be delicious, the superior taste comes at a cost and this should be kept in mind whenever you choose to eat off campus at the establishment. However, In-N-Out’s burger is still healthier than the majority of other fast food options and should be chosen over other fast food restaurants in my opinion if you’re going to eat fast food.
            I definitely can’t complain about getting to make an extra trip to In-N-Out this year. Their burgers are above and beyond the best fast food I’ve ever tasted and they make arguably some of the best all around burgers I’ve ever had. Additionally, like the majority of fast food restaurants you don’t have to break the bank in order to enjoy a meal at In-N-Out (you also don’t have to feel quite as guilty about supporting the fast food industry since In-N-Out refuses to use beef that’s brought too far away from the establishment its being served at). However, its important to keep in mind that In-N-Out is still fast food and definitely shouldn’t be considered healthy by any stretch of the imagination. It’s a great treat every once and a while but I wouldn’t recommend making routine stops here if you want to fend off the dreaded freshman 15. Be sure to stop by next week for my fifth and final post where I’ll be attempting to buy and prepare my own burger.
Work Cited
"Nutrition - In-N-Out Burger." Nutrition - In-N-Out Burger. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 May 2013.

4 comments:

  1. Andrew-

    I really like this post. I just recently had In-N-Out for the first time also about a month ago. I definitely enjoyed the burger I got, but I can't quite say the same thing for the fries. I've heard mixed reviews from people about their fries (e.g. my roommate loves the fries, a friend who I went to In-N-Out with warned me against them). That's really besides the point though. Given In-N-Out's commitments to get local beef (at least relatively so) and some of their other commitments, I'm surprised the nutritional value just of the burger was that different from a Bronco Burger. That is unless you got a "double-double" at In-N-Out (I think that was what they were called, but I could be mistaken). Do you know how the burger at In-N-Out compared to other popular fast food chains at least nutritionally? How about to McDonalds or some other popular fast food chain? You made a brief mention that In-N-Outs was healthier, but I would be interested in how much healthier it actually is. Overall the post was great. Awesome job!

    Griffin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew,

    First off, I was really drawn in by the picture you used. It caught my eye while I was browsing your blog. I agree with your opinion of In-N-Out, it is one of my favorite burger places and I'm sad that when I go home for the summer I won't be able to get a great burger and animal fries. You made a great point about the cost comparison (which is very important as a broke college student), but I think you're right that it's better to get the healthier option even if it doesn't taste as good or is as cheap. I enjoyed reading this post. Good luck cooking!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew, I (like others) love the picture of the iconic In-N-Out burger. It is one of my favorite meals and the only source of meat that I will eat from a fast food restaurant. Your depiction of In-N-Out was very accurate and I could relate to everything you were saying. Your story of walking was very funny and I really enjoyed that. I was surprised to find that In-N-Out was as cheap as it was compared to The Bronco. I really appreciated your aside about not feeling guilty for supporting the fast food industry when eating In-N-Out - that positively augmented your post.

    Additionally, you did a wonderful job on your presentation in class - one of my favorites! Great work!

    -Koby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrew,

    Being from California I will say I have had my share of in-n-out and not much can compare to it! I thought it was interesting to learn that this burger has just about the same amount of calories as the bronco burger because I also thought it would be way worse for you. I can't wait to read about your experience with preparing your own burger!

    ReplyDelete